What I’ve been doing instead of blogging:
- recovering from working
- taking my mom to the doctor
- recovering from taking my mom to the doctor
- changing dressings on my daughter’s finger or talking to my daughter about her finger or just looking at my daughter’s finger while she changes the dressing or helping my daughter out in other ways while she recovers from having severed one of her fingers (3 rounds of antibiotics can really slay your gastrointestinal tract)
- babysitting for the grandkaddidles
- thinking how smart God is about his timing when he stops a woman’s uterus and ovaries from working
- watching sappy Hallmark love movies with my husband (he’s very sure of himself, so he can totally immerse himself in chick flick stuff, even gets teary-eyed at the right places)
- hanging out on pinterest when I ought to have been sleeping
- cleaning out my kitchen (yeah me!–HUGE undertaking–the thrift store is about to get the mother load of kitchen goodies)
- thinking about cooking
- thinking about ordering out
- wishing I had a new kitchen
- wishing I had a new bed
- wishing I was 25 years younger or at least that my back was 25 years younger or that I had a new bed
- making flop after flop of unbloggable AND inedible food–so depressing
- feeling guilty over everything (see above list including the not blogging part)–I feel so guilty most of the time that I even feel guilty about my guilt
So, moving forward…or sideways–
Most of my family were together Sunday night (except for my son who moved to North Dakota on Sunday–it’s a bittersweet kind of thing). Anyway, while they were all whooping it up playing “guitar hero”, I decided to give these cake batter crispy rice cereal treats a try. I joined the fam in spirit and background vocals from the kitchen. I mean, I would have joined them in the family room, but I was not up for getting my ego busted…I sing mostly off key, and my hand/eye coordination stinks so I couldn’t have followed the guitar or drum stuff very easily. I’m relatively certain that I would have looked like I was playing Twister. So, I opted to stay in the kitchen and experiment with a recipe for cake batter crispy rice cereal treats.
Cake batter anything is all the rage right now, (cake batter pudding cookies, cake batter ice cream, cake batter caramel popcorn) but I suspect you already know this. I realize that I am late to the party. No excuses, just late. My brain tends to run in different circles and I typically avoid trying to jump on ‘the latest craze’. I learned long ago (in the 5th grade), that I am generally out of step with the latest whatever, so I finally gave up trying.
For the sake of family harmony, aka not playing guitar hero, I made treats. The treats passed muster once I could break through the bedlam and get people to pull themselves away from Beatles music.
The recipe here was inspired by several different recipes and as usual, I took the best bits from each recipe and put them together to form sort of my own recipe. To me, it has the right amount of cake batter taste and the sprinkles add a whole lot of color and fun.