This ‘recipe’ is a Sonic Drive-in knock-off. Actually it is a knock-off of a knock-off. Sort of. As you can see from the picture, there are two different colors of cherry limeade. The lighter one has juice from a jar of maraschino cherries. The darker one has tart cherry juice. Both are very good, but I prefer the lighter one because it tastes more like the Sonic cherry limeade.
- The size of glass is up to you. A 16-20 ounce glass is a good size. Or, you can use the 8 ounce tumbler size, whatever makes you happy.
- The juice from the maraschino cherries makes a sweeter drink.
- The recipe makes 1-2 servings, depending of course on the size of glass.
- The original copy-cat recipe was from Todd Wilbur of Top Secret Recipes and can be found here.
- This recipe is ridiculously easy.
- 1 (12-ounce) can lemon-lime soda (such as Sprite or 7-Up)
- 3 wedges of fresh lime (cut lime into eighths to make wedges)
- 1/2 cup bottled cherry juice or 2 tablespoons juice from maraschino cherry jar (Todd Wilbur suggests using the Juicy Juice brand of cherry juice)
- 1 medium or large jar maraschino cherries
- In a pitcher, gently stir together the soda and the cherry juice.
- Squeeze the juice of three lime wedges (lime has been cut into 1/8’s) into the soda/cherry juice and stir gently.
- Fill glass about half-way full of ice, then put two of the squeezed lime wedges and 2 or 3 cherries on top of the ice.
- Add more ice, nearly filling the glass.
- Fill glass with soda mixture.
- Garnish with remaining lime wedge and a cherry.
Don’t forget the straw. Very important. You know its important because as you can see, I forgot to add that little finishing touch.