This is a quick, easy, delicious side dish for Indian and Thai cuisine. I served it with Curried Chicken Tenderloins and it was the perfect palate compliment for that spicy little dish.
My rice of choice is jasmine, which can be found in most grocery stores right next to basic old white rice. Jasmine, however, is far from basic. It is an aromatic rice, similar to basmati, but sweeter…at least I think it’s sweeter. Smelling it cook is one of life’s simple pleasures.
The simplicity of this coconut rice is understated, but it does its job perfectly. Serving as a side dish, coconut rice sits quietly in the background offering a welcome change of pace from the storm of flavors from curries or similar spicy foods..
Very easy to prepare, it gives the cook a much needed break from the more technical food with which the rice will be presented.Print
This rice is lightly sweet with a “just right” flavor of coconut. It takes great with Thai and other Asian cuisines, Indian dishes, and family meals such as Hawaiian Haystacks or Curried Chicken Tenderloinds with Minted Mango Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk– do not use light coconut milk. Use the full fat coconut milk for this. Be sure to shake the can well prior to opening it because the solids and the liquids separate.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- chopped chives for garnish, optional
- Wash and rinse rice under cool water until the water runs clear. Put rice into a 3 quart stockpot. Add the water and coconut milk and stir to mix well. Stir in the salt.
- With the lid off of the pot, bring the liquids up to a boil. Cover pot and immediately lower the heat to medium low or low, just enough to keep the liquid at a simmer.
- Keep the lid on the pot and simmer the ingredients for 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid. With the lid still in place remove pot from hot burner and allow to sit for another 10 minutes undisturbed.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with chopped chives if desired.