Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
Spicy Italian sausage, bacon, potatoes and kale come together in this hearty soup. Easy and very flavorful, you’ll love it equally as much Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana, if not more!
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces. Drain, set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat, brown bacon; remove and set aside to drain on paper towels. Leave two tablespoons of rendered bacon fat in the skillet.
- Sauté the potatoes, onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat over medium or medium low heat. Sauté until the onion begins to be translucent and the potatoes are still a little firm, but are beginning to soften.
- Add the sausage, bacon, 7 cups water, and 3 chicken bouillon cubes to the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in kale and cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat until warm throughout.
- Sautéing the potatoes, onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat adds depth of flavor to the soup.
- The chicken stock can be replaced by 7 cups of water and 5 bouillon cubes.