Yes, another salad for Easter. This one has been around since Jell-O was invented, or at least since I was invented, which makes it pretty darn old. That’s not saying that this salad didn’t exist before I was born, it’s just saying that this is nothing new.
HOWEVER, I absolutely have to make this post because I can never find the recipe when I get ready to make the salad. I am a lousy puter-backer with recipe cards. They are forever getting lost. Would you believe that I used to be enormously OCD? Then one day I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with reality and ever since that time the OCD thing began to unravel–which has had both advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is that now I lose things and my house is chaotic. One of the advantages, on the other hand, is that I can happily walk away from dirty dishes and laundry and hang out with my grandsons and not feel guilty or anxious.
I make no apologies for not introducing you to some brilliantly healthy new recipe. I do encourage you though, to embrace a time honored recipe for a very easy family favorite that presents a scrumptiously pastel Easter table salad.
Not Easter right now when you are reading this? Don’t be silly. Make this salad anytime. It’s a great one for picnics, family reunions, Church socials, book club…whatever!
Orange Fluff Salad
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip
- 1 (16 ounce carton) cottage cheese (2 cups)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarine oranges, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 (6 ounce) box orange Jell-O
Put the cottage cheese in a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle the Jell-O powder over the cottage cheese and mix together well. Allow to sit for a few minutes. The Jell-O may not completely dissolve at this point. Don't worry about it.
- Add the Cool Whip, mandarine oranges, pineapple tidbits, and miniature marshmallows. Fold together.
- Cover and place in refrigerator until chilled and thickened. This is a soft salad and will be thick, but will not set "firm".
For reasons unknown, sometimes this salad will set more firm than at other times. Either way, it is deliciously addicting.