A few years ago I went on a cheese ball craze. I couldn’t make myself stop coming up with new recipes and I sort of went somewhat overboard with making them. It’s all kind of a blur now, but I think that my family may have decided that I needed an intervention and may have hidden the cream cheese from me. The need for the intervention was all my son in-law’s fault. I already had a favorite cheese ball recipe of my own, but Tim got me started on a ranch cheese ball that his mom makes. One thing lead to another and pretty soon there were cheese balls everywhere–and I’m not talking about my family.
This dip was originally a cheese ball. Excellent, by the way. But, for my own sake and the lessons learned during the intervention phase, I have turned this into a dip. All you have to do to make a cheese ball into a dip is to thin out the mixture, substituting some of the cream cheese with sour cream. I also added lime juice and ta-da, it became a dip!Print
Mexi Cheese Dip
This is a fun and easy Mexican-style flavored dip. The heat level is very flexible. For increased heat, use a spicier taco seasoning, pepper-jack cheese, or a few shakes of chipotle hot sauce such as Chalupa brand.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 (8 ounce) + 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces grated cheese–suggested: colby-jack, pepper-jack, jack and cheddar mix, or a packaged Mexican cheese blend (personal favorite)
- ¾-1 cup sour cream, depending on preferred consistency
- 3-4 green onions, finely chopped, use some of the green tops for color
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (I like chipotle flavored–it has a nice smokey flavor)
- juice of 1 lime
- cilantro, optional for garnishing
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine softened cream cheese and cheese, mixing until well blended.
- Add sour cream, onion, taco seasoning mix, and lime juice; mix well.
- Chill, covered, for 1-2 hours or until ready to serve.
- May be garnished with chopped cilantro leaves, if desired, or simply dressed with a whole cilantro leaf on top. Serve with tortilla chips of choice.
For increased heat, use a spicy taco seasoning mix, pepper-jack cheese, and/or a few shakes of chipotle hot sauce.
The dip may thicken as it sits. To thin it, stir in additional sour cream or a little buttermilk.
_Recipe by Terri @ that’s some good cookin’
You may also like: