This, my friends, is a no brainer. While in my humble opinion there will never be a substitute for true homemade french fries, this is an easy and great tasting alternative. Serve them with your favorite hamburger or sloppy joes meal.
I have found that small red potatoes work the very best for for this recipe. They stay moist, yet brown just right. The seasonings are simple, salt, pepper, and chipotle chili powder. Chipotle chili powder has truly become one of my most favorite seasonings with the smokey kick it can add to so many foods–especially the ordinary, everyday potato.
Easy Oven Potato Fries
Recipe by Terri @ that’s some good cookin’
- 3 pounds small red potatoes (about 5 per pound)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chipotle chili powder, to taste (just a light sprinkle, it’s got a kick)
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Line a large baking pan with foil, set aside.
- Scrub potatoes under running water to remove any dirt or debris that may be clinging to the potato skins. Cut potatoes into wedges. I usually get 6-8 wedges, depending on the size of the potato. Don’t make the wedges too thin.
- Put potato wedges into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat the potatoes well.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly sprinkle potatoes with chipotle chili powder. A little goes a long way. Better to have too little, than too much.
- Toss potato wedges to coat well and evenly. Pour them out onto foil-lined baking sheet. Try to get them into a single layer. It’s okay if they are close together.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 400-degree oven or until wedges pierce easily with a fork or skewer and have turned a golden brown.