I used to love to make these when my children were young. They thought it was so much fun to have ice cream/sherbet that looked like a watermelon. I also made these for parties or showers and they were always a hit, for looks and for flavor!
Be sure to start this early in the day or preferably a day ahead of when you want to serve it. There’s some freezing time involved between the application of each layer; I’d say at least 30 minutes for layers one and two, then several hours after layer three.
Recipe by Terri @ that’s some good cookin’
- 6 cups lime sherbet (1.5 quart container)
- 3-4 cups pineapple sherbet or vanilla ice cream–(I used pineapple sherbet this time, but have found that I prefer the flavor of vanilla ice cream.)
- 6 cups raspberry sherbet (1.5 quart container)
- 2-3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1 12 cup well rounded bowl–metal, glass, or plastic
- Line the bowl with plastic wrap. There will be wrinkles in the plastic wrap. Try to make these as smooth as possible. Chill the plastic-lined bowl in the freezer.
- Allow lime sherbet to soften somewhat at room temperature. Spread softened (NOT melted or runny) sherbet in bottom and up the sides of the chilled bowl. There may not be enough sherbet to go all the way to the top of the bowl. Put in freezer and allow sherbet to harden, about 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Soften the pineapple sherbet or vanilla ice cream somewhat. Spread on the bottom and up the sides of the lime sherbet. Return to freezer and allow to harden, again about 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Soften the raspberry sherbet to stirring consistency. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon the raspberry sherbet into the ‘well’ created by the other two sherbets. Return to freezer and freeze until raspberry sherbet is firm. This will probably take several hours.
- To serve, remove bombe from freezer and invert on a chilled round platter. To help the bombe release from the bowl, rinse a kitchen towel under hot tap water; wring out, then wrap the towel around the bowl.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the bombe. There will be wrinkles on the lime sherbet from the plastic wrap. The bombe will remind you of a green brain. Do not worry. Everything will be okay. Take a spatula and warm it under some hot tap water, then smooth out the wrinkles on the lime sherbet.
- Slice and serve immediately. Bask in the hero worship bestowed on you by your children or grandchildren. Smile affectionately at them. Give them kisses as desired. If your neighbor’s husband gives you accolades, thank him kindly, but do not kiss him.