Oh goodness. Ya gotta love grade B Hollywood flicks. From time to time since we were first married my husband and I have spent a few hours on random Saturday afternoons watching grade B science fiction movies. We sit and make fun of the movies, getting revolted into screaming laughter over the poorly written scripts and gosh awful acting. In some sick way we just can’t make ourselves stop watching. We even watch the commercials between the show segments because they are often just as ludicrous as the movies we watch.
Anybody else out there who watches grade B sci-fi movies? Anybody?
Well, there’s one thing for certain, the worse the movie, the more you need a crunchy snack, especially popcorn. It really adds to the experience. I recently discovered this great Almond Popcorn recipe and it is definitely a keeper. It can be whipped up in no-time with only a few ingredients, and is a step beyond caramel popcorn because of a simple 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.
So, invite your friends over the next time the Sci-Fi channel hosts shark week or alien week or the sky is falling week and make some of this sweet and crunchy popcorn to share.
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup sliced almonds (I used whole almonds and gave them a rough chop)
- Place popped corn in a large bowl. Remove unpopped kernels and throw away. Add almonds to popcorn and toss lightly; set aside.
- In a heavy bottom 2-3 quart sauce pot, add sugar, syrup, butter and salt. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot. Over medium heat, cook and stir ingredients to a temperature of 240 degrees F on thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract; stir to combine.
- Pour over popcorn and almonds. Stir until cool to prevent large chunks.
The Original Recipe Source: Gramma Mary at Coast 101.3 FM radio–no longer active link and a new link cannot be found at this time 2/11/2014