This is a light and refreshing salad made from fresh oranges and pineapple lightly bathed in an orange vinaigrette and served on a bed of fresh mixed lettuces. I couldn’t stop eating this salad; it was deliciously guilt free, not to mention the super nutritional boost from the oranges and pineapple.
I peeled the oranges with a paring knife, removing the skin and pith, then sliced each section away from the membrane. I also used a fresh pineapple, using a pineapple tool to remove the pineapple from the touch exterior and core it at the same time. See this post to view the pineapple tool in use. A pineapple cutting tool is not necessary; just cut and core pineapple in your usual manner. There is a very nice tutorial on how to cut a pineapple here.
The fruit can be served on a variety of greens: spinach, romaine, or a blend of baby lettuces. I chose a mixture of organic baby greens.
Citrus Salad with Orange and Pineapple Vinaigrette
Recipe by Terri @ that’s some good cookin’
- 4 naval oranges
- 1 medium to large pineapple
- 1 cup juice (approximately) reserved from cutting oranges and pineapple or use 1 cup prepared orange juice.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive or canola oil, depending on taste preference
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Choice of greens or lettuces–spinach, romaine, baby lettuces and greens
- Set a colander over a large bowl. Cut fruit into the colander to drain the juices into the bowl. The juices will be used for the vinaigrette. OR use 1 cup prepared orange juice, if preferred.
- With a paring knife, remove peel, pith, and outer membrane from oranges. Remove orange sections with knife by cutting between each orange section and the attached membrane. You will be cutting on each side of each section. Cut each orange section in half, if desired.
- Prepare pineapple by cutting away tough exterior and core. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a blender, mix together the fruit juice, rice vinegar, sugar, and seasoning salt.
- With blender on a medium or high speed, slowly drizzle in the olive or canola oil.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the fruit and allow to sit for about 15 minutes, then serve fruit over choice of greens such as spinach, Romaine, or a mixture of baby lettuces/greens. Spoon more vinaigrette over salad if desired.
With a sharp paring knife, slice off a small portion of the orange at the top. Then, peel around the orange cutting deep enough to remove the peel, pith (white part), and outer membrane.
For a good step-by-step tutorial on cutting a pineapple, visit this link at About.com.