When my son in-law, Tim, joined the family he introduced us to several of his mom’s recipes. Tammy is a great cook, so we have been happy to add her recipes as some of our favorites. The following is her cheese ball recipe. Thanks Tammy and Tim! This is so easy to make, which is always a plus when having a party.
Mix up the ingredients for this cheese ball a day ahead and then form it into a ball just before serving. If you find yourself really short on time, this can also be served as a dip.
There are a variety of toppings that go well with this cheese ball: chili powder (Tim’s personal favorite), minced parsley, chopped pecans, or chopped bacon are a few suggestions.
You might also like to try my favorite Party Cheese Ball, just for fun.
Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: up to 8 hours, includes chilling time Yield: 1 large or 2 small cheese balls
A party favorite, change up the flavor by rolling the cheese ball(s) in various toppings. The recipe can be split into two cheese balls.
- 12 ounces cream cheese1 package Ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 or more cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. It is easiest to use a stand mixer, but a hand held electric mixer works, too.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Do not use a hand mixer for this; stir by hand or use a stand mixer. The mixture will be quite soft, so it will definitely need to be well chilled for ease in handling. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- After chilling, form into balls.
- Roll in any of the following: chili powder, chopped parsley, chopped nuts or bacon. To roll, simply scatter the toppings on a plate and roll the cheese ball over the toppings until evenly distributed.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Note: My daughter mistakenly used a Hidden Valley Ranch Dip packet instead of the Ranch dressing packet. She said that she and Tim liked the cheese ball even better with the dip mix instead of the dressing mix. So, give it a try!
You may also like: