- I used buttermilk instead of regular milk.
- I used panko bread crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs or cornmeal. Panko bread crumbs really hold the crunch!
- 3 medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (original recipe used regular milk)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs (original recipe used fine bread crumbs or cornmeal)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes. (I put my tomatoes in a colander to drain off the juices.)
Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.
Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. Do not crowd the tomatoes. They should not be touching. Drain on paper towels.
As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.