I was in the room of one of my patients recently and she had a container of croissants sitting on her bedside table. They looked soooo good and I was soooo hungry, which made them all the more enticing. As I was standing there admiring those croissants, I remembered the chicken salad croissants that I had made for Tricia’s wedding. Tricia had a very tropical feel to her wedding and so I had made up a recipe for chicken salad which would reflect that theme. Mmmmm.
As I sat photographing the finished product this afternoon, Gavin came bursting through the front door followed by Tricia a few moments later with Kade in her arms. She sat down at the table and I asked her if she’d like a croissant. “What’s in them?” she asked. “Chicken salad,” I said. I didn’t have to say it twice.
Tropical Chicken Salad Croissants
- 1 whole roasted chicken, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1- 1 1/2 cups creamy salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained
- ½ purple onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup halved green grapes
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut flavoring (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the lemon juice. Set aside in fridge while preparing remainder of ingredients.
Mix the salad dressing, salt, pineapple, grapes, almonds, coconut flavoring, and cilantro into chicken until evenly combined. Chill until serving.
Makes six servings if served in large croissants.
Makes 28 2 tablespoon servings for mini croissants.