There is an interesting process in making this strawberry sherbet. The strawberries are baked. I’ve never baked strawberries and I had my doubts about the whole thing. To my surprise, the strawberry flavor was intensified in the sherbet.
Recipe by Joy of Baking
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wash and cut the strawberries in half (or quarters if using large strawberries) and toss with the corn syrup.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until the color of the strawberries intensifies and the syrup is thick, about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then place in your food processor. Add the sugar and lime juice, and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the yogurt and cream. Cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled (several hours or overnight).
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once made, transfer the sherbet to a chilled container and place in the freezer for at least two hours before serving.